WATSONVILLE, Calif. – Boating supply retailer West Marine announced its first annual “Green Product of the Year” contest at the 2009 Miami International Boat Show in February. As part of West Marine’s mission to improve and protect marine habitats and reduce its impact on the environment, it will award one prize of $10,000 to the contest winner at the 2010 Miami International Boat Show.
“One of West Marine’s goals is to be an industry leader in sustainability,” said Geoff Eisenberg, West Marine’s CEO. “Through this initiative we hope to encourage innovation and a steady stream of environmentally friendly products so our children and our children’s children will have the opportunity to enjoy plentiful oceans and beautiful blue waters, as we have.”
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
- Eco-effectiveness: How effectively does the product improve the marine environment, conserve natural resources, or reduce the carbon wake of boating operations (e.g., fossil fuel consumption)?
- Cost-effectiveness: How does the product compare in cost per use or purchase price versus current products and technologies?
- Applicability and breadth of market impact: If implemented or used, how universal is the application of the product for its intended use?
- Degree of innovation and originality: How does this product improve upon or replace similar products or solutions currently found in the market? How does this product serve a new green market need or niche not currently served by existing products or solutions? How original is this product, design or solution? Are any new technologies or materials used?
- Compliance with official rules: Does the entry and entrant in all respects comply with the Official Rules?
Participants may enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green by Nov. 1, 2009.
About West Marine: The largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, West Marine has more than 344 stores in 38 states, Puerto Rico, Canada and a franchised store located in Turkey. The company’s catalog and Internet channels offer customers approximately 50,000 products and the convenience of exchanging catalog and Internet purchases at its retail stores. The company’s Port Supply division is one of the country’s largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine’s products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464). ◊