Semester-long communications internships are available for those familiar with AP style that can contribute ten to fifteen hours per week to OWAA. The intern’s projects can include:
- Writing features and researching articles
- Editing and proofreading
- Writing various press release
- Assist with publication layout and design
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Communications Internship’ as the subject line. You can also request sample issues (sent as PDFs) of our magazine, Outdoors Unlimited, via that email. (Don’t forget to tell us what typo you just found in the text above.)
Semester-long marketing internships are available for those that can contribute six- to ten-hours per week to OWAA. The intern’s projects can include:
- Assist with marketing membership, the annual conference, awards and scholarship programs and more
- Distribute press releases and follow up with media
- Maintain the OWAA website
- Developing social media schedules and content
- Outreach projects
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing samples to email@example.com with ‘Marketing Internship’ as the subject line.
Internships offer a great way to mentor young writers and communicators while providing vital assistance in your work. It’s an incredibly rewarding experience for all involved. Twenty years later, I still think about advice given me by Jim Bashline and my internship supervisors at Penn State. It’s a gift I can only repay by helping other young and beginning communicators.
Matt Miller, Director of Communications for The Nature Conservancy in Idaho and OWAA board member.