Tree stands are a basic tool of many deer hunters, but they can be dangerous if not used properly. The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission offers tips for safety:
- Wear a full-body harness the entire time you use the tree stand.
- Check equipment regularly to be certain it is in good condition, following instructions provided with equipment.
- Avoid hunting from heights above 15 feet.
- Use a haul line to raise and lower your equipment.
- Only load a firearm after you are safely secured in the stand.
- Never use a homemade tree stand, ones made of wood and nailed or screwed to a tree are dangerous.