Members, remember to log in to view this post.
Editor’s note: At its summer and winter meetings, the board of directors approved the following proposed bylaws amendments for a vote in the May 2, 2011, board of director’s election. The ballot will include 2011 board canddiates as well as the following proposed bylaws amendments. Active, Senior-Active and Life members should return ballots before the May 2 election. Members are encourged to post comments at www.owaa.org/ou.
Bylaws proposed change No. 1 (elimination of Third Vice President)
The OWAA Board of Directors, by vote on June 9, 2010, proposes the following changes to the OWAA Bylaws, in order to eliminate the office of Third Vice President. All changes are to take effect prior to election of officers during July of 2011 except that for that single election the person serving as Third Vice President may be elected as Second Vice President without regard to the procedures described in paragraph 8.2.
(1) Paragraph 8.1 be amended by deleting the following: “A Third Vice President, who shall perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President, First Vice President and Second Vice President, chair the Sections Committee, and assist the Second Vice President by serving as assistant chair of the Conference Program Committee;”.
(2) The portion of paragraph 8.1 that describes the duties of Second Vice President be re-worded to read as follows: “A Second Vice President, who shall perform the duties of President in the absence of the President and First Vice President and chair the Conference Program Committee and the Sections Committee;”.
(3) In the last three sentences of paragraph 8.2, the word “Third” be replaced with “Second” at three places, so that such sentences read as follows:
“Nominations for all offices except Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer may be made orally at the time of the election. Nominations for Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer may be made only (a) by the Officer Nominating Committee in a report to the Bo (sic) the election. All nominees for Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer must submit to and pass a credentials review of their qualifications for membership in OWAA before the election.”
(4) In paragraph 9.2, the description of the Officer Nominating Committee be re-worded to read as follows:
“An Officer Nominating Committee, which shall be composed of Directors in their second year on the board and shall make nominations for the offices of Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer;”
Bylaws proposed change No. 2 (relating to standing committees)
The OWAA Board of Directors, by vote on Jan. 10, 2011, proposes the following changes to the OWAA Bylaws, for the purposes of clarifying som (sic) action of the President, except that Board approval will still be required for the President’s selections for members and chair for the Board Nominating Committee and for members of the Finance Committee.
(1) The first sentence of paragraph 9.2 shall be changed to read as follows:
“9.2 There also shall be the following committees, the members and chairs of which, except where indicated, shall be appointed by action of the President alone, to be accomplished simultaneously with assuming office. No employee of OWAA or any of the counsels of OWAA shall serve as a committee chair.”
(2) The subparagraph of paragraph 9.2 dealing with the Awards Committee shall be changed to read as follows:
“An Awards Committee, chaired by the immediate past President, which shall supervise the selection of the recipients of the J. Hammond Brown Memorial Award, the Jade of Chiefs Award and the Excellence in Craft Award, and any other such awards (as distinguished from contests) that may past recipients of that award;”
(3) The subparagraph of paragraph 9.2 dealing with the Board Nominating Committee shall be changed to read as follows: “A Board Nominating Committee, which, as described in paragraph 7.2, shall be responsible for making nominations for election to the Board in proved by the Board;”
(4) The subparagraph of paragraph 9.2 dealing with the Finance Committee shall be changed to read as follows:
“A Finance Committee, which shall supervise the finances of OWAA, oversee an annual review of the financial records, develop and maintain sound financial practices for the organization, help the Executive Director present and prepare the annual budget for board approval, create and implement a long-term board-approved strategy that ensures a financially healthy organization, recommend fiscal actions according to the financial status of the organization, and administer the Operating Fund and all property owned by OWAA except that within the control of the Endowment Trustees. The Finance Committee shall be composed of the Treasurer, who shall chair the committee, and four members appointed by the President and approved by the Board. The President may also appoint a professional investment counsel to serve on the committee. The Executive Direc for vote.”
(5) The subparagraph of paragraph 9.2 dealing with the Officer Nominating Committee shall be changed to read as follows if Proposed bylaws change No. 1 is approved, but if it is not approved, the word “Second” shall be replaced with “Third”:
“An Officer Nominating Committee, which shall be composed of Directors in their second year on the board, shall be chaired by one of them selected by the President, and shall make nominations for the office of Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, all in accordance with paragraph 8.2;” ♦