GLOUSTER, OH – The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), in partnership with U.S. Hotels, a national hospitality and leisure company, announces the grand reopening of the Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center. The grand reopening event will occur on Wednesday, July 17, at 5 p.m. and will include an open house and ribbon cutting. The public is invited to attend.
“We have enjoyed partnering with U.S. Hotels as we continue to revitalize and improve the Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center,” said ODNR Director James Zehringer. “Burr Oak State Park has always been a beautiful place for families to visit, and now, with the support of the local communities and U.S. Hotels, we have been able to provide a lodge that rivals the park’s natural beauty.”
Fifty-five jobs will now remain in the local community as business in the lodge continues to increase. The room renovations for the lodge are nearly completed as the lodge’s original guest rooms are being expanded to provide 38 luxury rooms with updated furnishings and amenities.
Completed improvements made by ODNR and U.S. Hotels include:
- Common area renovated and new furnishings installed;
- Updated meeting rooms;
- New energy-efficient HVAC systems installed in all lodge rooms and some cottages;
- Lodge restaurant was remodeled with traditional and bar-style seating areas;
- Fitness room was created;
- Miniature golf course and children’s playground were added;
- Swimming pool area and circulation system renovated;
- Tennis and basketball courts resurfaced;
- Enhanced signage on the trails;
- New phone system and improved WiFi throughout the facility;
- Courtesy docks added for customers arriving by boat.
Future improvements include:
- New shelter house for lodge guests to be completed this fall;
- Disc golf course scheduled to open this fall;
- Sand volleyball area;
- Public bonfire ring;
- Relaxation deck.
People who attend the grand reopening will view renovated guest rooms and a cabin prior to the ribbon cutting ceremony. Attendees will have a chance to win door prizes, such as free vacation packages to Burr Oak Lodge as well as Shawnee and Hueston Woods Lodges, golf packages and more. Free appetizers and beverages will also be available.
Burr Oak State Park was established as a state park in 1952, and the lodge was dedicated 46 years ago in April 1967. Prior to closing temporarily on Jan. 31, 2012, the Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center employed 45 full-time equivalent employees. The lodge was the second-largest employer in Morgan County. Burr Oak State Park covers Athens, Morgan and Perry counties.
Burr Oak Lodge is located at 10660 Burr Oak Lodge Road, Glouster, Ohio 45732. For more information on Burr Oak State Park, contact Jean Backs at 614-265-7077. Learn more about the Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center at stayburroak.com.
ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.
For more information, contact:
Jean Backs, Ohio State Parks
Matt Eiselstein, ODNR Office of Communications