$1,400 in cash prizes available for 2017
Outdoor Writers Association of America® helps budding writers via its annual Norm Strung Youth Writing Awards. Prizes are awarded to winners in grades 6-12 for poetry and prose categories. 2017 awards will total $1,400, thanks to co-sponsorship from Falcon Guides. If you know a student who would like to enter the contest, rules for the 2017 contest are found below.
2017 entry postmark deadline:
March 15, 2017
2017 Norm Strung Youth Writing Contest Rules
1. The work must have been written during 2016.
2. At the time the article was written, the author must have been a student in grades 6-8 to enter the junior division; grades 9-12 (including prep school) to enter the senior division.
3. The topic must be outdoor-oriented (hiking, camping, boating, fishing, hunting, nature, ecology, canoeing, etc.). Any prose or poetic form is acceptable.
4. Entrants must submit one copy of his or her work, either a tear sheet from a publication work or a manuscript. The entrant must also include the entrant’s name, contact information (address, email, telephone), grade in school and name/date of publication in which the work appeared, if applicable.
5. Students may enter as many pieces of writing as they wish; however, each student will be limited to one prize per annual contest.
6. Deadline for mailing entries is March 15, 2017. Preferred method of entry is email submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries can also be mailed to OWAA Headquarters, 615 Oak St., Ste. 201, Missoula, MT 59801. Be sure the entry indicates the division for which the entry is intended (“Junior” or “Senior”), and the category (“Prose” or “Poetry”).
7. OWAA will announce the winners during summer 2017. OWAA reserves the right to reprint the winning entries in its publications, including Outdoors Unlimited®, and on its website, http://www.owaa.org.