Cash prizes available
Outdoor Writers Association of America® helps budding writers via its annual Norm Strung Youth Writing Awards. Prizes are awarded to winners in grades 6-12 for poetry and prose categories. If you know a student who would like to enter the contest, rules for the 2020 contest are found below.
Entries can be submitted beginning Jan. 1, 2020 and must be submitted at https://owaa.submittable.com/submit/151845/owaa-norm-strung-youth-writing-awards-2020
2020 Norm Strung Youth Writing Contest Rules
1. The work must have been written during 2019.
2. At the time the article was written, the author must have been a student in grades 6-8 to enter the junior division; grades 9-12 (including prep school) to enter the senior division.
3. The topic must be outdoor-oriented (hiking, camping, boating, fishing, hunting, nature, ecology, canoeing, etc.). Any prose or poetic form is acceptable.
4. Entrants must submit one copy of his or her work, either a tear sheet from a publication work or a manuscript. The entrant must also include the entrant’s name, contact information (address, email, telephone), grade in school and name/date of publication in which the work appeared, if applicable.
5. Students may enter as many pieces of writing as they wish; however, each student will be limited to one prize per annual contest.
6. Information on how to enter will be announced in January 2020.
7. OWAA will announce the winners during summer 2020. OWAA reserves the right to reprint the winning entries in its publications, including Outdoors Unlimited®, and on its website, https://www.owaa.org.