Members, remember to log in to view this post.
We will have recently wrapped up our annual conference by the time this issue of OU returns from the printer. We often tout conference as the greatest member benefit we offer, but it’s far from the only one. For those unable to make it to Billings, Montana, this year, or for those who did and returned home inspired to keep the momentum they built learning and networking, this is meant to be a reminder of a few benefits sometimes forgotten and ways you can maximize your membership year-round.
Whether you’ve recently published a book, or you are hoping to get your photographs in front of magazine editors, OWAA is here to help you promote and sell your work, as well as give you the skills reach new markets.
Promote your work.
- The Bookshelf in OU features new books by members.
- The portfolio in the magazine offers a chance to show off your skills behind the camera.
- Tell your fellow members about awards or recent projects on the member news section of the website.
- Share a killer shot on our Facebook page by submitting to our Feature Photo Friday.
Improve your skills.
- The craft improvement articles in Outdoors Unlimited are meant to teach new skills. Is there something you’ve been interested in learning more about? Let us know and we’ll try to find an expert to draft an article. Our online archive of Outdoors Unlimited is up-to-date thanks to the diligent work by our summer interns. Take time to browse old issues or search craft improvement articles online for tips of the trade.
- Each year the Madson Fellowship offers scholarships for continuing education opportunities, from attending our annual conference, to taking attending classes or other conferences.
- Can’t make it to conference? You can still take advantage of experts leading craft improvement session. Visit http://owaa.org/members-area/resources/conference-videos/ to watch conference videos. Our 2016 conference videos will be online soon. In the meantime, you can watch sessions from previous years.
- We’ve recently added free webinars tackling topics like making money as a nature photographer. Look for upcoming webinar information in OU and watch ones you missed by visiting http://owaa.org/members-area/resources/webinars. Read below this article to find out information on our next webinar.
Have you signed up for the Outdoor Market? While you can check it regularly through the website, you can also make sure you get an email any time a new job is posted. The Outdoor Market features only paid work requests, like publications seeking freelance submissions, or companies needing to hire outdoor communicators.
We recently put our directory online. That means you can search out the email of that fellow member whose work you’ve admired, find people who specialize in covering certain topics like bowhunting and solicit pitches for your publication or find editors who work with content you cover and send a personalized query, or connect with other outdoor communicators in your state. With the new supporting groups directory, you can find contacts at companies representing travel, gear and outdoor advocacy.♦
— Editor Kelsey Dayton, firstname.lastname@example.org