The National Shooting Sports Foundation, located in Newtown, Conn., is seeking an individual to manage the association’s communications with general news media and development of communications strategies in support of the association’s government relations programs.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of seven years combined experience in the field of public relations, corporate communications or experience as a journalist or producer at a major media outlet.
- Thorough knowledge of firearm industry positions on issues such as firearms registration, smart-gun technology, locking devices, assault weapons legislation, safety, etc.
- Formal media training desired.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and proven ability to effectively deliver messages on television and radio.
- Excellent presentation skills and familiarity with A/V equipment.
- Experience with a variety of social and emerging media platforms.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively and on short notice.
- Knowledge of the shooting sports industry preferred.
- Must be eligible to lawfully purchase and possess firearms.
- Proficiency with current Microsoft Windows applications and MS office suite products.
- Develop and execute targeted communications campaigns in support of the association’s legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Lead writer of letters to the editor, speeches, white papers, blog entries and news releases.
- Engage non-endemic news media through social and emerging media platforms including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, Yelp, Pinterest, Google+, blog posts and podcasts.
- Actively seek opportunities to present industry messages, official statements and positions with appropriate media.
- Work collaboratively with the government relations staff to identify emerging issues and develop communications strategies to support industry legislative and regulatory positions.
- Solicit opportunities for appropriate association executives to meet with editorial boards of major media.
- Represent industry at various outside functions, meetings and conferences.
- Respond, often on very short notice, to media interview requests.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of current events and issues that impact firearm and ammunition industry.