Dear OWAA members and supporters: As you will see, we are posting a job announcement for an editor position. We thought that deserved a little explanation.
Ashley has decided to step back from her full-time duties as editor of Outdoors Unlimited and have someone else join the headquarters team in that capacity. Ashley will continue to work part-time for OWAA and will remain actively involved in OWAA’s online presence and communications with members, supporters and the public, but from a more behind-the-scenes role. This will also allow her more time to grow her freelance website design business.
We will be hiring someone to specifically work on the task of producing Outdoors Unlimited. You can view that listing below.
The Outdoor Writers Association of America seeks
an editor for its magazine, Outdoors Unlimited
The editor position offers an excellent opportunity for an individual with a passion for communications and the outdoors to work with many of the nation’s top outdoors and resources journalists, organizations and companies in a small office environment that embraces an enthusiastic, team spirit. This is a part-time staff position at the association’s national headquarters in Missoula, Mont.
Primary responsibilities include editing, designing and producing Outdoors Unlimited, a bimonthly trade publication for OWAA members and supporters.
- Production of Outdoors Unlimited including:
- planning six issues per year;
- soliciting and choosing material from contributing writers and photographers;
- editing copy and writing headlines;
- soliciting and choosing cover art and inside art;
- laying out magazine in digital design software and coordinating publication with third-party printer.
- Contributing to Outdoors Unlimited Online
- work with communications manager to maintain content on OU Online, the magazine’s website, including coordinating content from the print version.
- Managing interns, in coordination with communications manager.
- Assisting communications manager with production of annual membership directory, conference-related publications, electronic newsletters and other special projects.
- Traveling and assisting with annual conference (includes non-editorial duties).
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Skilled in MS Office, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
- Familiarity with WordPress (website content management system). Basic training will be available for the right applicant.
- Superior knowledge of Associated Press style guidelines and excellent copy-editing skills.
OWAA offers competitive compensation and benefits. Send a cover letter and résumé to editorsearch[at]owaa.org, Subject: Publications Editor Position or via mail to Publications Editor Position, Outdoor Writers Association of America, 615 Oak St., Ste. 201, Missoula, MT 59801. Cover letter and résumé must be received no later than June 24, 2013. No phone calls please. EOE. www.owaa.org.