Climate Central is an independent, non-profit journalism and research organization. They seek an experienced, energetic, highly creative, risk-taking managing editor for its website and digital media program. The managing editor will be responsible for the overall communications approach, strategy, direction, organization, tone, and creative content on the site.
Climate Central is seeking a strong leader with bold ideas who is willing to rethink the way that climate change science and related issues are communicated.
The managing editor will work closely with the Vice President for Strategic Communications, scientific staff and communications staff to develop a website and social media strategy that makes climate science compelling and climate communications interesting to a broad public audience and dramatically increases daily traffic.
Priority responsibilities include
- Supervise a major site overhaul with the goal of producing a highly original site that can convey climate science and related issues in new and compelling ways.
- Prepare and execute a detailed plan for Web content, strategy, vision and distribution including via social media – going forward.
- Assign, edit, and manage site content, including news stories and blogs, on a daily basis, ensuring content meets high standards for accuracy and is fresh and engaging.
- Work closely with staff scientists and staff members of other Climate Central programs, including Climate Central’s innovative initiative to deliver real-time content, including Web content, focusing on extreme weather events to TV weather forecasters in 15 major media markets.
- Supervise and coordinate staff science writers, a Web producer, freelancers and Web design consultants.
- Demonstrated success in managing daily flow of digital content, managing website development, implementing social media strategies and growing website traffic and user engagement.
- Experience leading and managing teams of writers, producers and multimedia content developers for Web or other platforms.
- Strong, proven leadership skills.
- Demonstrated record of creativity, innovation and success.
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver products on deadline.
Compensation is competitive, with very generous benefits. Positive work environment in Princeton, N.J.
To submit credentials, contact Iveta Weinberg at email@example.com.
Search will close when successful candidate is recruited to fill this position.
For more details, view the complete job listing.