The Globe Pequot Press is seeking an experienced Acquisitions Editor with 5 plus years for the premier outdoor recreation imprint in the United States, FalconGuides.
This editor will plan and acquire new and revision titles, both one-off books and series titles, that meet the company’s strategic and profit goals. Develops and recommends publishing plans using personal and carefully researched knowledge of the market. Works as each author’s primary point of contact with the company, and is responsible for communicating the vision of the books throughout the organization and updating the organization of substantive changes in the positioning and timing of a given title. And helps or guides authors through development of social media platforms.
- Develops concepts for profitable books, series, and related products, negotiates author contracts, and draws up contracts for approximately twenty new and revised titles annually
- Participates in development of list-building, strategy and planning
- Presents product concepts to Executive Director of Editorial for feedback and comments, then if approved presents to Publishing Board, prepares cost estimates, participates in acquisition meetings •Locates and contacts well-credentialed authors for books within assigned category(/ categories) and uses experience and judgment to explore other subject areas, while keeping close contact with supervisor.
- Evaluates solicited and unsolicited proposals and manuscripts •Handles all issues pertaining to contract terms, submission quality, and deadlines
- Participates in discussions with sales and marketing and provides materials to support book sales estimates
- Creates a direction for a portion of the list and works with team members to achieve that direction
- Maintains book records in Title Management
- Ability to acquire 25+ quality books per year within the outdoor recreation category
- Ability to plan a series list intelligently, efficiently, and profitably
- Superior author contract negotiating skills
- Must have a basic familiarity with HTML and web-based CMS software (WordPress/Drupal, etc)
- Understands and can guide authors on social media platforms
- Possess the desire to contribute content to imprint’s online media channels •Experience with outdoor recreation apps, GPS, or GPX software is a strong plus •Knowledge and experience in Adobe InDesign and (basic) Photoshop skills another strong plus
- Ability to create and adhere to budgets on a book-by-book basis
- Thorough knowledge of assigned book categories
- The ability to work collaboratively across department lines.
- 5+ years trade-book editorial experience
- Experience dealing with a broad range of authors, and agent contacts •Minimum of 5 years experience in trade publishing
- Book development skills and a demonstrated record of acquiring A -grade books.
- B.A. in English or Journalism preferred