The communications department of Ducks Unlimited Inc. seeks an experienced, full-time senior communications specialist. The successful candidate will have excellent command of the English language; strong, proven writing skills; and proficiency with Microsoft Office software. The candidate must be an energetic self-starter who is detail-oriented, with the ability to handle multiple projects concurrently — and meet regular deadlines for each. Excellent communications skills are a must, and the candidate must be able to work as part of a high-level corporate communications team.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Write and edit speeches, scripts, newsletters, action alerts and other high-level internal communications for senior staff and volunteer officers (a key function).
- Interact frequently with senior staff and volunteer officers in preparing and finalizing speeches and other communications.
- Create compelling audiovisual presentations for senior staff and volunteer officers.
- Coordinate regularly and directly with DU Secretary/COO of Wetlands America Trust (WAT) in communicating with current and prospective board members.
- Assist with preparation of materials for DU/WAT board meetings and attend meetings as assigned.
- Assist in the planning, scripting and production of the annual national convention.
- Write, edit and distribute press releases and other external communications to national, regional, state and local media.
- Place stories in national media outlets, arrange interviews and support DU’s overall media relations efforts.
- Represent DU at events and conferences as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Some travel required.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or a related field with 5-7 years of verifiable experience preferred. Excellent writing skills are mandatory. A high level of creativity and the ability to learn and adapt quickly to Ducks Unlimited’s fast-paced, results-oriented organizational culture will be essential. The ideal candidate will be organized, dependable, flexible, goal-oriented, articulate, courteous and discreet. Strong research and analytical skills are important. The ability to turn complex technical material into accessible and compelling writing is essential. Experience working with top-level executives and volunteers and an understanding of the natural resources/conservation field are a plus. The position is located in Memphis, Tenn., at DU’s national headquarters and reports to the director of communications.
Please send resume and cover letter to Deanna McAdory in Human Resources at email@example.com.