Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine (www.blueridgeoutdoors.com) is seeking a full-time multimedia/travel editor to join its team, based in Charlottesville, Va. Responsibilities include traveling to multiple destinations across the Southeast each month, writing destination features and other stories, shooting and editing video, taking photos, recording interviews for podcasts, field testing gear, and developing original Web content. The position requires at least two weeks of dedicated travel and field-based outdoor reporting each month.
Blue Ridge Outdoors is the country’s largest regional outdoor magazine, with a quarter-million readers from Maryland to Georgia. The magazine inspires readers to explore the outdoors by featuring the mountain’s best adventures, events, news, gear, music and culture.
- Travel to outdoor destinations across the Southeast (2+ weeks of travel each month).
- Write destination features, essays, and other stories for print publication.
- Shoot and edit video.
- Shoot photos and build photography stock for the magazine.
- Record interviews for podcasts.
- Field-test gear.
- Develop original web content.
- Integrate print and web content.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Experience in digital editorial creation and management.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Highly organized, accurate, quality-focused, and detail-oriented.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- Previously published writing in magazines or newspapers.
- Experience with mobile and social network communications.
- Flexibility in juggling multiple projects and assignments in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.