The Institute for College Access & Success seeks a communications director for its Oakland, Calif., office.
The communications director develops and implements external communications strategies to advance our mission, using both traditional and new media and working closely with staff across the organization. Core responsibilities include managing media relations, websites, online communications, publications, and strategic initiatives; keeping colleagues and key constituencies informed and engaged; and supervising one staff position as well as outside contractors. Some travel required.
Examples of specific responsibilities include:
- Works with senior staff to develop integrated research, policy, and/or advocacy strategies that make the most of available communications tools and resources.
- Develops messaging and dissemination plans for projects and publications.
- Serves as primary press contact, prepares staff for interviews, and tracks and analyzes relevant media coverage.
- Drafts media materials, action alerts, fact sheets and online content.
- Edits reports and oversees their production.
- Ensures websites are up to date and manages Web design and development projects.
- Represents TICAS at meetings and public events.
Candidates should have at least six years of communications experience and three years of supervisory experience, with direct experience in policy and/or advocacy environments strongly preferred. To succeed you must be an excellent writer and editor, highly organized, attentive to detail, and a good public speaker. You must also have the proven ability to describe complex issues clearly and accurately for different audiences, and to thrive in a creative, fast-paced environment with multiple tasks and deadlines. Other key qualifications: highly interested in higher education policy and financial aid, with direct experience preferred; comfortable asking questions and working with data as well as text; working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, basic HTML, InDesign, social media, online advocacy tools, and other relevant applications and software.
How To Apply:
Full benefits provided; compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to admin [at] ticas [dot] org with “Communications Director” in the subject line. No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled.