High Country News, a nonprofit magazine that covers the West’s environment, public lands and communities, seeks a multitalented visual journalist to join the team in rural Paonia, Colorado.
<em><b>Members, remember to log in to view the rest of this post.</b></em>
Associate Designer – High Country News, a nonprofit magazine that covers the West’s environment, public lands and communities, seeks a multitalented visual journalist to join the team in rural Paonia, Colorado. Work with art director to design and produce pages in our twice-monthly magazine; find/assign great photojournalism for magazine and website, including photo stories for print and web; convert and upload our print magazine to web, and perform miscellaneous tasks to close out each issue.
We need someone with a good news sense who can work closely with art director and editors, who understands the West and the issues we cover, and who can maintain the quality, high-level journalism and storytelling we’re known for. Newsroom and photo research/editing experience, Creative Suite proficiency and familiarity with High Country News are top requirements.
Full-time, fully benefited position. Enthusiasm for small-town living is a must. This is a Paonia-based job; no telecommuting. Email cover letter, résumé and clips to Associate Designer, email@example.com. HCN is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and individuals from other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Application deadline is June 27.
HIGH COUNTRY NEWS
General Statement of Duties: Helps produce High Country News, both the print magazine and online content. Works with Art Director, editors and writers to plan, research and obtain art for the magazine and design each issue. Works with Online Editor to obtain photographs for web articles and create photo stories. Processes editorial copy. Performs post-production duties, including converting and posting issue to website. Works with Art Director and other departments to produce occasional ads and promotional materials.
Supervision Exercised: None.
Supervision Received: Under the general supervision of the Art Director.
Example of Duties: The following duties are illustrative only and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
– Works with Art Director and editors to determine how best to present each story. Conducts photo and art research and produces data visualizations; assigns freelancers when needed. Designs pages within general template of HCN. Makes adjustments needed for editorial clarity and design appropriateness and cohesiveness. Produces work within established deadlines and standards for quality.
– Conducts photo and art research: Uses the Web, email and phone to contact photographers, artists, stock agencies, publishers and cartoonists to obtain good copies of their work and permission to use it; negotiates payment within HCN guidelines. Contracts with photographers and artists to create original work for HCN. Pursues leads on diverse photographers and artists.
– Receives editorial copy in Word; converts to InDesign galleys for final proofing; adds changes as needed, quickly and with high degree of accuracy.
– Works with Online Editor to plan photography for online articles and create photo stories.
– Works with Art Director and Online Editor to pitch original photo stories for magazine and web.
– Outputs each magazine issue into ascii in preparation for placement on Web; converts images and magazine for Web. Uploads issue and weekly Writers on the Range columns to Web quickly and accurately.
– Occasionally designs and produces ads and promotional materials for all HCN departments, working directly with other departments and with general oversight of Art Director. Bids, manages, and produces all design and print jobs within established deadlines and standards for quality.
– Calculates payment for freelance articles/art and produces pay sheet and mailing list of contributors.
– Cleans up after each issue by filing art, archiving original materials, cleaning out computer files.
– Enters new sources, photographers, and cartoonists in company’s database; reviews periodically and purges as appropriate.
– Responsible for production and management of the magazine printing in Art Director’s absence.
– Becomes familiar with and actively contribute to the implementation of HCN’s Diversity Plan as it pertains to this job.
– And other duties as assigned.
Special Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
– Knowledge of fundamentals of journalism and principles and practices of effective editorial design and storytelling, photojournalism, data visualization for print and web, as well as advertising and promotional design.
– Proficiency in use of InDesign desktop publishing and graphics software, as well as web production and content-management software, and ability to learn and effectively use other software.
– Ability to enter data accurately and efficiently and produce work that is well-done, complete and error-free, while managing the many responsibilities of the job and meeting established deadlines.
– Ability to create pages/materials within the design guidelines established by Art Director.
– Ability to quickly and accurately convert and upload HCN content to website, including ability to effectively translate magazine graphics for web.
– Ability to communicate clearly and in a timely manner, both orally and in writing.
– Ability to maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, staff, the Executive Director, contractors, freelance writers, photographers, cartoonists and the general public.
Education: Advanced training in the fundamentals of journalism and photojournalism, desktop publishing, graphics and web software programs.
Experience: Journalism/photojournalsim experience preferred. Two years experience in desktop publishing, including design and graphics. Or any other combination of education and experience. Newsroom experience a big plus.