Rodale is seeking a highly seasoned Editor in Chief for Bicycling, the world’s largest cycling media brand, based in the Emmaus, Pennsylvania office.
Members, remember to log in to view the rest of this post.
Rodale is seeking a highly seasoned Editor in Chief for Bicycling, the world’s largest cycling media brand, based in the Emmaus, Pennsylvania office. The EIC will provide leadership, creative vision and editorial direction for the brand across all platforms—print, digital, mobile and other brand extensions—ensuring consumer-focused content for an audience whose interest in cycling ranges from the highly experienced core to the novice or even those who are curious about cycling but have yet to take their first ride in years (or ever). The EIC will define content strategy across all platforms with the goal of offering readers authentic, accessible, engaging, exciting, fun, and expert experiential and service content illuminating all aspects of the cycling life.
Scope and Impact of the Position:
This brand has a passionate, and loyal customer base among the core and across all of cycling’s subcultures — only to be stronger and more engaged as its reach grows — and also, more than any other cycling media brand, is welcoming to new and less-experienced riders. A customer-focused Editor in Chief who brings creative-content leadership and smart, innovative ideas will excel in this role. The ideal candidate will be in a position to further enhance both the equity of the brand itself along with the company’s overall performance.
Refine and execute on the brand’s proven and successful editorial mission in close coordination with the editorial director.
- Fulfill the information, advocacy, and entertainment needs of the audience, monitoring the satisfaction of the Bicycling community at all times.
- Continue to evolve and implement content guidelines aligned with the mission, ensuring that execution not only serves customers’ needs but exceeds their expectations.
- Determine content strategy across platforms, determining how best to target specific audience sectors through each medium, always with the goal of expanding readership, growing community, increasing product sales and, most important, delighting customers.
- Set clear goals and manage the team to meet those goals
- Serve as heart of the tone and voice for the brand.
- Set high standards for all content; oversee all assigning, creating, editing, designing, and production, assuring that the editorial quality is consistently best in category. Strive for content that is vibrant, fresh, visually and editorially compelling, ranging from “must-read” or “leading edge” information to “thrilling” or “provocative,” and everything in between.
- Oversee the fulfillment of all operating procedures, including scheduling, budgets and production matters. Maintain ultimate responsibility for setting, enforcing and meeting deadlines.
- Oversee design and photo aspects of the brand. Assure that covers, layouts, visuals, display type, and all design elements across all platforms and related properties or materials conforms to guidelines.
- Continue to work with the digital director and VP of digital content to develop and build upon gains in digital, social media, video, e-commerce and other platforms.
- Represent the brand from an editorial standpoint in press and media.
- Provide editorial input in development of direct products, trade books, and marketing collateral and strategies.
- Develop ideas for events, new products and/or other brand extensions
- Define reader needs and build strategy to address needs as they evolve, and to monitor reader satisfaction on a regular basis.
- Nurture a cohesive content and design team that is motivated, collaborative and works toward the same goals.
- Conceive of partnership ideas for sharing of content and other ways to maximize audience reach.
Profile of Ideal Candidate:
- Pedigree and personality that will be credible in the cycling and publishing communities
- Driven by excellence, proven track record of success
- Audience-oriented approach to publishing
- Strong leadership qualities—able to articulate vision, rally the staff, mentor, motivate, and inspire great work
- Not only demands continual evolution, but thrives on change
- Seasoned consumer magazine leader
- Strong passion for cycling and products
- Strong writer, assigning editor, line editor, headline writer, and conceptual editor with journalistic excellence
- Equally strong visual and design sensibility
- Superb editorial instincts
- Exceptional at ideas/conceptualizing
- Commercial sensibility and business acumen; a track record of creating products that people want to buy
- Appreciation for brand equity and leverage
- Extensive people management experience
- Strong process management experience
- Problem solver and solution focused; proactive in experimenting and can take responsibility for the results
- Confident, with strength of conviction, but flexible
- Energetic, passionate and sensitive toward others
- Sense of humor
Education / Requirements:
BA in Journalism, English, or related degree, or 10+ years of publishing experience
About Rodale Inc. Rodale Inc. is a global health and wellness content company based in Emmaus, Pennsylvania and New York, New York. Known for launching the organic movement in the U.S. in 1942, the company operates today with a mission to “inspire health, healing, happiness and love in the world. Starting with you.” Home to a broad portfolio of best-in-class brands, Rodale engages more than 100 million people globally through an array of products and services that include magazines, books, online, mobile, e-commerce, direct-to-consumer, social, video and events. With 100 editions in 67 countries, Rodale publishes the largest, most established health and wellness lifestyle brands, including Men’s Health, Prevention, Women’s Health, Runner’s World, Bicycling, and Rodale’s Organic Life. Rodale Books is the premier destination for wellness content with a purpose, publishing conversation-changing titles that include Jessica Alba’s The Honest Life, Alicia Silverstone’s The Kind Diet, former Vice President Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz’s Onward, Maria Rodale’s Organic Manifesto and Scratch, and Dave Asprey’s The Bulletproof Diet. The Rodale Books website, RodaleWellness.com, is a content and community hub where visitors can find inspiration and information from the world’s top wellness experts. Rodale also produces numerous branded experiences that draw more than 100,000 participants annually. Rodale is a certified member of The Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) and has received numerous industry accolades, including spots on Folio’s Top Places to Work in Media and Greatist’s Healthiest Companies in America lists, and has also been recognized as one of the Top 100 Best Adoption Friendly Workplaces.
Visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/ROD1002/JobBoard/90557af0-74c6-7054-79a7-ce77628a4c45/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=95128819-c3b3-482f-96cd-734261511dc4 to apply.