We seek a Director of Content & Communications to provide planning, direction, and oversight for Green America’s content generation and engagement with individual members and the general public.
<em><b>Members, remember to log in to view the rest of this post.</b></em>
Executive Director (ED)
$55,000 to $65,000
Excellent benefits including health care, dental care, casual and friendly work environment, and flexible four-day work week.
Green America is a national nonprofit founded in 1983 with the mission to create a green economy defined by environmental restoration and sustainability, social and economic justice, thriving and inclusive local communities, and personal health and well-being. We inform people’s choices, organize consumer collective action, and bring together businesses and other stakeholders to achieve system-wide change. Our work environment is results-oriented and highly collegial.
We seek a Director of Content & Communications to provide planning, direction, and oversight for Green America’s content generation and engagement with individual members and the general public. The Director of Content & Communications will be responsible for Green America’s outreach through its websites, social media, emails and print publications, ensuring that all channels are working together to provide consistent and compelling messaging and information that enhances the organization’s outreach, impact, and brand.
The Director of Content & Communications will be the person primarily responsible for creating and implementing the content and communications strategy needed to increase Green America’s level of impact, build our membership and activist base, and strengthen our financial sustainability. The Director of Content & Communications will work proactively to oversee the internal coordination/collaboration needed to align content/communications with other program/department objectives.
We seek a Director of Content & Communications who can hit the ground running to play a major role in taking the organization to the next level. We expect our Director of Content & Communications to be a very strong individual contributor (a “doer”), an effective leader of our content & communications team, and an essential member of our management team, helping to shape strategy and inform critical decisions for our organization.
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
· At least five years’ experience in managing communications for an organization or business.
· Experience with publications, online, email, social media platforms.
· Excellent writing and editing skills.
· Entrepreneurial, results-oriented focus.
· Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and deadlines.
· Ability to lead teams.
· Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
· Commitment to Green America’s mission and values.
o Lead the development of the organization’s content and communications plan for outreach to individual members and the public, including the main messaging campaigns for each year, key metrics, and coordination amongst departments at Green America. The Director of Content & Communications will be responsible for:
o Green America’s content and communications plan with a monthly timeline for print, email, social media and online content, and overseeing updates to the plan.
o Tracking metrics to determine which strategies are working (or not working).
o Coordinating overall communications with and provide feedback for programs at Green America that have their own communications efforts.
o As a member of Green America’s management team, ensure that the content and communications strategy strongly supports the organization’s overall goals and strategy.
Content Generation and Management
· Ensure content is generated in line with the communication plan. Ensure that the organization is putting out high-quality material through its web, social media, email and print channels. The Content & Communications Director will be responsible for generating some content and supervising others in the generation of content.
· Ensure that program staff generate needed content for Green America’s web, social media, email and print channels.
· With the Media Director and program staff, generate press releases and media events.
· With assistance from the Technology Team, maintain a content library of editorial, graphical, and multi-media content consistent with the Green America brand book.
· Lead the organization’s efforts to increase email subscribers, social media followers, and web traffic. Provide tracking of these metrics to department leaders.
· Produce or oversee the organization’s emails to members (either through writing or editing emails), manage/oversee Green America’s Facebook page and other social media properties. This can include managing staff and interns to produce such content.
· Work with the publications staff to ensure that we are sending out high-quality publications to our members and the public (and work to increase readership).
· Work with the marketing department to maximize coordination between Green America’s overall messaging to members and the public and our solicitations.
· Work with program staff to review their communications and ensure that campaign planning is designed to maximize communications potential for members and the public, and that program communication is supporting Green America’s outreach efforts overall.
· Take part in the Royalties Team to ensure that the team is promoting royalties that are in line with Green America’s messaging and mission and plan promotions.
· Work with the technology team and publications team to ensure that our platforms and software maximize Green America’s communications potential.
· Responsible for maintaining and enforcing the Green America brand across our communications channels. Ensures the Green America brand book meets the needs of the organization’s communication efforts.
· Lead budgeting for all content and communications work at Green America, including online (website and social media), print, and earned media. Work with relevant team members to ensure they produce budgets and review and finalize the team’s budgets.
· Lead/supervise the members of the Content & Communications team.
· Work with the editor-in-chief and the rest of the Content & Communications team to plan, draft and edit content (with some staff dedicated to content generation as their primary duty and reporting to the Director of Content & Communications, and other staff working in/for other departments).
· Ensure that content is leveraged across online and print channels.
· With the Marketing Director and the Corporate Responsibility Programs Director, regularly analyze current outreach efforts, ensure consistent messaging across the organization, review new content suggestions, and test new messaging and strategies.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and at least three substantive, writing samples (which you believe are relevant to this role) to Green America at email@example.com.
This position is at Green America’s headquarters at 1612 K Street NW, Suite 600, Washington DC 20006.
For more information about Green America, please visit www.greenamerica.org.