Our mission at Backcountry, why we exist, is to connect people to their passions. Backcountry.com is the leading online retailer of premium outdoor gear. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate seven online specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Dogfunk, SteepandCheap, WhiskeyMilitia, and Chainlove.
We offer the opportunity of a lifetime where you can connect your career with your passions. Our mission – connect people to their passions – begins with our team members. We live and breathe the outdoor lifestyle, whether on land or water, snow or sand, road or trail. We seek out and hire the most amazing talent we can find to come be innovative, fresh, and inspiring to take us to the next level of being THE global leader in outdoor specialty retail.
About the Job
- Write 60-80 product descriptions per week for our outdoor and action sports sites (Backcountry, Dogfunk, and Flash)
- Research the products you write about. Whether it’s using it yourself, digging through catalogs, connecting with vendors/reps, or physically inspecting it
- Help consumers make intelligent purchasing decisions by highlighting each product’s unique attributes and benefits
- Write in a voice relevant to the product, target consumer, and website(s) featuring it
- Ensure tech specs are included for each product
- Describe product attributes and benefits, while maximizing SEO value
- Edit and write in accord with Backcountry’s style guide
- Participate in coaching sessions with editors, department meetings, and product clinics
- Help develop and drive our content efforts; how do we improve for the good of our customers?
- Bachelor’s degree; preferably in English, Creative Writing, Communications, or Journalism
- Professional ecommerce or catalog writing experience (include clips or URLs)
- Encyclopedic knowledge of outdoor and action sports products and culture
- Proven ability to write to varying audiences in unique voices
- Experience with backend content applications
- Thrives in an ever-changing, occasionally chaotic environment
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Understands SEO
We Use the Gear We Sell
We offer an extensive benefits package for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision and 401k with a company match! And… have we mentioned the perks yet? We USE the GEAR we SELL. All team members are eligible for our amazing discount on gear – on Backcountry and our other sites, via pro forms, and through local retailers and partners in all of our locations.
We’re a casual dress, fun, thriving dot-com with a great work environment and plenty of growth in our future for us and for you. Yes, there is more. A gear closet to fuel your passion to try new things before buying the gear yourself, adventure contests and leave to go explore, gold point recognition program with redemptions ranging from massages to gift cards to ski passes, fresh food co-op subsidies, and more. Lunchtime trail runs, group rides, powder mornings when based in Utah, and more. Does that appeal to you? It’s about a lifestyle, not just a job, and we support our team members in as many aspects of life as possible all while connecting them to their passions so we may better connect our customers with their passions.
Check us out in action here:
We are an Equal Opportunity & E-verify Employer. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background check and drug screen (for distribution center employees).