Communications and Outreach Specialist
Members, remember to log in to view the rest of this post.
Location: Silver Spring Md, MD, US
Communications and Outreach Specialist (Job Number:611950)
The Leidos National Security Sector is seeking an experienced Communications and Outreach Specialist to develop and implement strategic communications for the NOAA Office of Law Enforcement (OLE). The candidate will serve as the communications lead for the organization working out of the headquarters office in Silver Spring, MD, with OLE senior leadership and in consultation with the NOAA Fisheries Office of Communications.
OLE enforces laws that protect and conserve our nation’s living marine resources and their natural habitat. OLE Special Agents and Enforcement Officers are sworn law enforcement officers with specified authority to make arrests and enforce over 37 statutes, as well as numerous treaties related to the conservation and protection of marine resources. To effectively enforce these statutes, OLE operates 5 divisional offices and 59 field offices across the U.S. and overseas.
– Plans, organizes, and executes strategic communications for OLE in consultation with OLE leadership and the agency’s Office of Communications. This includes internal and external communications, outreach, and educational activities on the national level.
– Assists OLE leadership in responding to formal and informal requests from governmental and nongovernmental organizations for information, materials, and recruitment information.
– Coordinates OLE responses to media inquiries at the headquarters level. Also works collaboratively with the agency’s regional communications leads to respond to regional inquiries.
– Coordinates, facilitates, and conducts media interviews with OLE leadership and staff and as needed.
– Acts as OLE spokesperson on occasion.
– Arranges public outreach and media training for OLE employees as needed.
– Maintains OLE’s online presence, including drafting, clearing, and posting web content and coordinating with the Office of Communications for any social media efforts.
– Develops other in-reach and outreach materials including preparing responses for the director; developing briefing materials, talking points and presentations for OLE leadership; collecting and organizing photos from the field to be used for OLE publications, online, and in response to media organizations as needed; and consulting on video scripts.
– Manages and tracks the OLE wildlife exhibit program (Bio-Loan Program), including maintaining exhibit inventories and responding to requests for exhibit loans.
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
– 5+ years of strategic communications experience.
– Media relations experience.
– Excellent oral and written communications skills.
– Speaks and writes in English fluently.
– Proficient in MS-Office software and Google applications.
One or more of the following:
– Experience running a communications program and/or outreach campaigns for a government agency, business, nongovernment organization, or a professional organization.
– Experience developing briefings, talking points, and messaging around complex or controversial topics.
– Experience developing and producing communications products for internal and external audiences.
– Background in journalism.
– Ability to write in plain language for diverse audiences.
– Experience planning, organizing, and executing challenging and complex work projects.
– Experience multi-tasking and responding to shifting priorities.
– Ability to collaborate with a wide range of individuals or lead a team to accomplish a goal or complete a specific project.
– Some knowledge of regional and/or national natural resources issues or management.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company’s approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Posting: Jan 7, 2015, 10:00:40 AM
Primary Location: USA-MD-SILVER SPRING MD
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time
Shift: Day Job