The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks an experienced journalist to serve as the associate editor for AMC Outdoors magazine. The print edition of AMC Outdoors is a four-color, feature-driven, 64-page magazine published four times a year, with a monthly publishing schedule online. We won four Association Media & Publishing awards last year. Help us do it again next year!
This person is responsible for writing, as well as for serving as the assigning and developmental editor, for several quarterly departments of the print magazine and several monthly verticals online. A clutch wordsmith, the associate editor will function as our go-to staff writer: an ace reporter and practiced story pitcher who is comfortable scouting out and interviewing sources. The associate editor will be as comfortable writing for the web in all of its forms as s/he is writing long-form features; s/he will write two or more of the latter per year. This person will also regularly edit the work of others, requiring fanatical devotion to fact-checking, to the Chicago Manual of Style, and to proper grammar and usage. The associate editor is integral to the annual editorial planning process and copy edits and proofreads all magazine content, including digital stories.
The next year is a big one for us, as we transition to a newly formed in-house creative department and take a hard look at the magazine’s architecture and run of book, with a resulting (and exciting!) redesign. The associate editor will be key to these endeavors. The magazine is a small team of 2.5 but works collaboratively as part of the larger and collegial communications department. Enthusiasm and flexibility are musts.
We also really like the outdoors. And pancakes. And puns.
- Writes or assigns and edits a combination of the following quarterly magazine departments: Currents (conservation and recreation news), Field Notes (AMC news), Get Out (where-to roundup), Learn How (step-by-step how-to), Wild Wisdom (freelancer-written naturalist column), Equipped (freelancer-written gear column), Voices (short-form interviews with members of the AMC community), Flashback (spotlighting AMC’s Library & Archives), Backcountry (event listings)
- Writes or assigns and edits the following monthly digital departments: Field Notes, Get Out, Learn How
- Edits Equipped blog; possibility to pitch and write own blog
- Writes two or more feature stories per year
- Pitches monthly and quarterly story ideas
- Participates in annual editorial planning process and regular weekly and monthly planning meetings
- Applies editorial judgment to all copy, both print and digital, from narrative features to headlines, captions, blog posts, and event listings
- Writes monthly newsletter and magazine landing page copy
- Assists in photo research for all coverage areas
- Acts as liaison to other AMC departments, maintaining recreation, conservation, and education beats
- Assists in hiring and supervising of editorial interns
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- Passion for AMC’s nonprofit mission of promoting the protection, enjoyment, and wise use of the outdoors in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic
- Minimum of 3 years of professional writing experience
- Minimum of 3 years of professional editing experience
- Demonstrated professional interest in outdoor recreation or conservation
- Expert-level comfort with Adobe InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, Acrobat
- Expert-level comfort with WordPress and latest SEO best practices
- Familiarity with other CMS and with photo asset management systems (e.g. Merlin)
- Experience in writing and reviewing freelance contracts, familiarity with rights management
- Experience training, mentoring, and managing interns
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and to work collaboratively with our crack team and other departments, exhibiting humor, diplomacy, and reliability in a deadline-driven environment
Employee Perks: In addition to a competitive salary, AMC offers an exceptional benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits
- Health insurance with a hefty employer contribution
- A retirement plan with an employer match
- Access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues throughout New England
- And more!
To Apply: View listing on glassdoor to apply. Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. Please also include three (3) published clips of your writing, three (3) professional references and your salary requirements. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.