Position: Executive Director
Time Commitment: Full Time
Compensation Structure: Salary. Bonus based on performance. Health benefits.
Reports to: President and Board of Directors.
Location: OWAA’s headquarters is in Missoula, Montana, with flexibility to accommodate telecommuting to meet needs of the Executive Director. Relocation is negotiable.
OWAA’s Executive Director (ED) functions as the chief staff member of the organization, with general oversight and responsibility for operations, finance, fundraising, and sales and marketing. The ED also functions as one of the two primary spokespeople (with the President) for the organization.
- Hire, train and supervise staff: 1 full time + 1-2 part-time employees.
- Hire and supervise independent contractors as needed.
- Ensure proper office operations and functions.
- Provide guidance and assistance to the Board and OWAA committees in their work, including preparation of materials for board meetings and the annual general membership meeting, and the various initiatives and bylaws-related tasks of each committee. (The ED is a non-voting member of all OWAA committees.)
- Implement board policies.
- Oversee OWAA’s various scholarship awards and fellowships.
- Work with OWAA’s conference planner to solicit site bids, select the annual conference site, find sponsors and produce the conference.
- Oversee OWAA’s publications, social media, online directory and website.
- Oversee the contest coordinator for OWAA’s Excellence in Craft (EIC) Awards, find sponsors of this program and help plan the awards presentation at the annual conference.
- Oversee the Director of Membership. Solicit new members and supporters. Mediate member disputes.
- Issue news releases as needed.
- Help define a robust strategic vision for the organization and implementing the strategic plan as directed by the Board of Directors.
- Prepare and oversee OWAA’s annual budget and maintain its financial records.
- Conduct all of OWAA’s financial tasks including: Creating an annual budget; monitoring cash flow; paying Accounts Payable; collecting Accounts Receivable; running payroll and maintaining payroll records; funding EE [employee] 403b contributions; managing OWAA’s letter-of-credit and bank accounts; filing annual form 990 with IRS; negotiating and paying employee health insurance; generating financial reports; and managing all other financially-related duties of the organization.
- Work with OWAA’s Endowment Trust to coordinate funds to/from the trust to operations and OWAA’s funded programs.
- Implement OWAA’s various sales and marketing efforts.
- Design and implement the organization’s fundraising efforts.
- Work with the Development Committee to ensure grant process aligns with OWAA’s goals.
- Excellent communications skills – both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to recognize problems and to develop and implement solutions
- Working knowledge of software applications, such as Excel, Mailchimp, Salesforce, Quickbooks
- Ability to define and execute plans on both tactical and strategic levels
- Ability to multi-task–energy to juggle multiple divergent activities at once
- Financial acumen
- Strong leadership and management abilities
- Comfortable with public speaking on a national stage
- Ability to attract and motivate volunteers
- Possess sound judgment in decision-making and conflict resolution
- Enthusiasm for, and confidence in, the OWAA mission
- Familiarity with nonprofit organizations at the administrative and/or board level
- Familiarity with various types of outdoor media
- Understanding of fundraising and willingness to support the organization’s various fundraising initiatives
Preferred Credentials and Other Previous Experience:
- Familiarity with national trade organizations at the administrative and/or board level
- Experience working with large volunteer base
- Familiarity with various constituencies in the outdoor industry, NGOs, and government agencies, with an ability to represent OWAA among these varied groups
- Participation in various outdoor activities
- Grant-writing experience a plus
For more information, contact: