It’s back! Due to the OWAA website recently undergoing some needed maintenance and improvements, we haven’t been able to post the Member Spotlight Mondays…until today! We’re excited to resume this member feature by putting the spotlight on Kris Millgate:
- Where were you born?
Salt Lake City, Utah
- Where do you call home now?
Idaho Falls, Idaho
- What’s your nickname?
Among hockey kids: mangirl. Among family: brown bear.
- What’s your favorite outdoor activity?
Two: trail running and fly fishing.
- What is your profession/connection with outdoors communication?
Multimedia outdoor journalist.
- Why did you choose to become an outdoor communicator?
I like being the messenger for the masses when it comes to important outdoor/enviro stories that need to be told.
- What are you most proud of in your career thus far?
I always knew I would be a journalist, but I didn’t know I would own my own company. Starting Tight Line Media as a freelancer is what I’m most proud of. TLM is 11 years old this year. I started TLM between having two kids so it’s my middle child.
- What three words would your friends use to describe you?
Intense, obsessive, funny.
- What is the best piece of advice you have received as an outdoor communicator?
- When you head for the Great Outdoors, what is the one thing you do not leave home without?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
Follow salmon migration from the ocean to Idaho and document it via photo and video.
- Who do you most admire in your life and why?
Drawing a blank.
- What was the last movie you saw?
- What are your top three favorite books?
“Oh the Places You’ll Go,” “Love You Forever,” “Born to Run.”
- Can you juggle?
Nope, but I can multitask like a maniac.
- What is your favorite dessert?
Anything with cake.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
My lie detecting skills are already pretty good so enhanced vision so I shoot even better wildlife from afar footage.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
This answer is still coming into focus.
- What is your favorite inspirational quote?
“Work for it rather than wish for it.”
- What do you like best about OWAA?
Network of friends across the country that I’ve met at annual conference.
Thank you, Kris, for not only your answers to our questions, but also for being valued part of “The Voice of the Outdoors” for 8 years!
If you are an OWAA member and wish to be featured in a future Member Spotlight Monday, send your answers to the above questions and a photograph of yourself enjoying the outdoors (in JPG format sized for the web) to Colleen Miniuk-Sperry at email@example.com.
Not a member? Check us out at https://www.owaa.org.