As OWAA celebrates its 90th birthday in 2017, we have kicked off “Member Spotlight Monday,” a new weekly feature that celebrates our present—the gift of our talented current members and their ongoing excellence in outdoor communications. Today, we introduce Tim Mead:
- Where were you born?
Born, Arcadia, Michigan, 2/8/38
- Where do you call home now?
Charlotte, North Carolina.
- What’s your nickname?
The Ancient Angler
- What’s your favorite outdoor activity?
Freshwater fishing in Lake Waytohellngone.
- What is your profession/connection with outdoors communications?
I’m a free lance writer and photographer with 35 years at it.
- Why did you choose to become an outdoor communicator?
In the back of my mind, since I was in high school, I had the notion I would write fishing articles. Years ago, Game and Fish Publications contacted me and asked for an article on my favorite bass fishing spot in North Carolina. And that was the beginning.
- What are you most proud of in your career thus far?
I’m proud of my service to SEOPA and OWAA, proud of the awards I’ve won (not a lot), proud of the many friends I’ve made.
- What three words would your friends use to describe you?
Well, I can tell you the words I’d like my friends to use to describe me: loyal, studious, truthful.
- What is the best piece of advice you have received as an outdoor communicator?
- When you head for the Great Outdoors, what is the one thing you do not leave home without?
My fishing license.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
Given the paucity of lottery tickets I buy (I never have purchased one), go to Subway and get a sandwich. If I won the big lottery, I’d travel to exotic fishing sites and give money to outfits like Trout Unlimited, various land conservancies, the Nature Conservancy.
- Who do you most admire in your life and why?
Tough question. Dad. He taught me how to work hard, show up on time and not leave early, and he introduced me to the outdoors. All those have stood me in good stead.
- What was the last movie you saw?
Last night I watched El Dorado on Netflix.
- What are your top three favorite books?
Before I could read, Dad read aloud Treasure Island and Huckleberry Finn. I have read and reread those many times. Dad taught me books could be fun. As an influence in my youth, I’d add Ray Bergman, And my book, Quetico Adventures, should get a mention as a personal favorite.
- Can you juggle?
- What is your favorite dessert?
I make a mean New York style cheescake. In fact, for more than 50 years, cooking has been a major hobby.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
Gotta be a fantasy. Cut through malarky and build peace and respect, one person to the next.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In 10 years? Probably about where I am now. Going fishing and camping when and where I want. Reading lots, writing and taking pictures. If there is anything I would like to change, I’d like to be a better photographer.
- What is your favorite inspirational quote?
“To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Though canst not then be false to any man.” Polonius advice to Laertes, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3. (I had to look up the act and scene. The quotation I knew. I’m sure students over the years heard it many times.)
- What do you like best about OWAA?
The friends I’ve made
Thank you, Tim, for not only your answers, but also for being valued part of “The Voice of the Outdoors.”
If you are an OWAA member and wish to be featured in a future Member Spotlight Monday, send your answers to the above questions and a photograph of yourself enjoying the outdoors (in JPG format sized for the web) to Colleen Miniuk-Sperry at firstname.lastname@example.org.