As OWAA celebrates its 90th birthday in 2017, we’ve kicked off “Member Spotlight Monday,” a new weekly feature that celebrates our present—the gift of our talented current members and their ongoing excellence in outdoor communications. Today, we introduce Bucky D’Agostino:
- Where were you born?
I was born in Cream Ridge New Jersey.
- Where do you call home now?
I live in Manahawkin, NJ
- What’s your nickname?
My nickname is Bucky. My real name is Giacinto
- What’s your favorite outdoor activity?
My favorite outdoor activity is fishing on my boat for striped bass.
- What is your profession/connection with outdoors communication?
I write articles for a variety of magazines such as American Waterfowler, The Fisherman, Bassmaster, and Petersen’s Bowhunting.
- Why did you choose to become an outdoor communicator?
I chose to become an outdoor communicator because I wanted the world to see the outdoors through my eyes!
- What are you most proud of in your career thus far?
I am most proud of an article I wrote for Bassmaster Magazine about fishing the Delaware River. President George Bush Sr. liked it so much he signed a copy and sent it to me.
- What three words would your friends use to describe you?
My friends would describe me as passionate, dedicated, and positive.
- What is the best piece of advice you have received as an outdoor communicator?
The best piece of advice I ever received was from my first mentor Wade Bourne. He told me to approach the profession in the same way a doctor approaches his craft.
- When you head for the Great Outdoors, what is the one thing you do not leave home without?
When I leave for an outdoor adventure I never leave without my camera.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
If I won the lottery I would equip my 20 ft Grady White with a four-stroke Yamaha outboard.
- Who do you most admire in your life and why?
I most admire my father. He was a U.S. Marine assigned to the Marine One helicopter which carries the president. They don’t pick Marines for that unless they are special!
- What was the last movie you saw?
The last movie I saw was Shawshank Redemption.
- What are your top three favorite books?
My top three favorite books are 1. Lone Survivor 2. Quiet Strength 3. Un Common
- Can you juggle?
I cannot juggle.
- What is your favorite dessert?
My favorite dessert is pumpkin pie.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
If I were a super hero my power would be the ability to bring stability to those who need it. I teach behavioral disordered kids and I try to do that each day.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In ten years I see myself retired after 30 years of teaching and enjoying the outdoors.
- What is your favorite inspirational quote?
My favorite inspirational quote is, “When nothing seems to work I go and watch a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without a crack showing in it. Yet, at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it wasn’t the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis
- What do you like best about OWAA?
The best thing I like about OWAA is the willingness of its members to give guidance.
Thank you, Bucky, for not only your answers, but also for being valued part of “The Voice of the Outdoors.”
If you are an OWAA member and wish to be featured in a future Member Spotlight Monday, send your answers to the above questions and a photograph of yourself enjoying the outdoors (in JPG format sized for the web) to Colleen Miniuk-Sperry at firstname.lastname@example.org.