Tom Sadler leaves for post with Marine Fish Conservation Network after four years
MISSOULA, Mont. – The Outdoor Writers Association of America, the nation’s oldest and largest association of professional outdoors-focused communicators, is seeking a new executive director.
The 700-plus-member association, formed in 1927 at a meeting of the Izaak Walton League of America, counts among its members the nation’s foremost outdoor writers, photographers, artists and broadcasters.
Current OWAA Executive Director Tom Sadler has accepted a position with the Marine Fish Conservation Network, as that organization’s deputy director. He leaves OWAA at the end of December. Sadler has been OWAA’s senior executive since early 2013.
“Tom has done some great things for OWAA and we are sad to see him leave,” said Brett Prettyman, president of OWAA’s board of directors. “We are confident we will find a director with the skills, vision and enthusiasm to keep us moving forward.”
The association currently has 768 individual members and more than 150 industry supporters.
Prettyman has formed a search committee as OWAA embarks on the quest to identify Sadler’s successor. OWAA board secretary and former board member Colleen Miniuk-Sperry will serve as interim executive director.
The committee includes OWAA members and former officers. The association’s full board is charged with making the final selection. OWAA’s home office is in Missoula, Montana. Sadler worked remotely from his home in Virginia, and relocation to Montana will not be required of his successor.
The position is full-time and includes a competitive salary and benefits package. Job responsibilities and requirements include:
- Familiarity with the outdoors, including hunting, fishing, camping, boating, hiking, skiing and all pursuits that take members and their audiences afield to enjoy the natural world.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage OWAA’s budget
- Experience managing a staff
- Sales and marketing experience, particularly in the realm of member recruitment and retention.
- Knowledge of fundraising and endowment management
- Willingness to travel approximately four weeks per year