$1,700 awarded to youths in 2014
Outdoor Writers Association of America helps budding writers via its annual Norm Strung Youth Writing Contest. Cash prizes are awarded to winners in grades 6-12 for poetry and prose categories. 2014 awards totaled $1,700, thanks to sponsor Safari Club International. If you know a student who would like to enter the contest, rules for the 2015 contest are found below.
2015 entry postmark deadline:
March 16, 2015
2015 Norm Strung Youth Writing Contest Rules
1. The work must have been written during 2014
2. At the time the article was written, the author must have been a student in grades 6-8 to enter the junior division; grades 9-12 (including prep school) to enter the senior division.
3. The topic must be outdoor-oriented (hiking, camping, boating, fishing, hunting, nature, ecology, canoeing, etc.). Any prose or poetic form is acceptable.
4. Entrants must submit one legible copy of his or her work, either a tear sheet from a publication work or a manuscript. The entrant must also include a cover sheet including the entrant’s name, contact information (address, email, telephone), grade in school and name/date of publication in which the work appeared, if applicable.
5. Students may enter as many pieces of writing as they wish; however, each student will be limited to one prize per annual contest.
6. Deadline for mailing entries is March 16, 2015. Send entries to OWAA Headquarters, 615 Oak St., Ste. 201, Missoula, MT 59801. Mark the lower left hand side of the envelope with the division for which the entry is intended (“Junior” or “Senior”), and for the category (“Prose” or “Poetry”).
7. OWAA will announce the winners during summer 2015. OWAA reserves the right to reprint the winning entries in its publications, including Outdoors Unlimited, and on its website, http://www.owaa.org.