February 5, 2017 Association Update
- Members, remember to log in to view the rest of this post.
- Aubry Buzek, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Rd., Austin, TX 78744. (C) 512-389-8046, (W) 512-389-8046, (F) 512-389-8046, firstname.lastname@example.org. Media communications specialist for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department press office. Focuses on inland fisheries communications. Skills: Q; Subject Matter: A; Sections: C. Approved for Active membership; sponsored by Steve Lightfoot.
- James Clark, 1113A Masters Ln., Greenville, NC 27834. (H) 240-499-4820, (C) 240-499-4820, (W) 232-328-5790, email@example.com, https://jayclarkportfolio.wordpress.com/. Enrolled in the Master of Arts in technology and communication program at the University of North Carolina. Employed at East Carolina University as a communications strategist in the communications, marketing and public affairs department. Has been with the university for nine years and held the positions of graphic designer, photographer, director of design, and interim chief of communications. Previously employed by the Izaak Walton League of America as creative director and shooting sports coordinator. While working there he was an active OWAA member and attended several conferences. Has gone back to school to expand his skillset and learn about new methods of communication and strategy. Working in higher education has been very rewarding, but would like to reconnect with outdoor communicators. Approved for Student membership; sponsored by Laura Ruel.
- Sam Cook, Duluth (Minn.) News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802. (C) 218-348-5181, (W) 218-723-5332, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.duluthnewstribune.com. Outdoors writer for the Duluth News Tribune since 1980, which produces a three- to four-page outdoors section each Sunday. Writes a weekly column that appears on Fridays. Covers hunting, fishing, camping, canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, fat-biking, hawk and songbird migration, hiking, surfing, stand-up paddleboarding, etc., primarily in northeast Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin. Author of six books. Has traveled to North and South Dakota, Montana, Alaska and Canada for assignments. Has written on travels to Central America, Mexico, Kenya and the North Pole. (Phyllis) Skills: BLNSV; Subject Matter: ACGMO; Sections: NP. Approved for Active membership; sponsored by Michael Furtman.
- Tim Wassberg, MRV: The Buzz, 7676-B Peters Rd., Plantation, FL 33324. (C) 805-886-5746, (W) 954-583-3900, email@example.com, http://mrvthebuzz.com. Editor in chief of MRV: The Buzz which highlights destinations, festivals, attractions, food and wine, history, culture, etc. that are of interest to the outdoor enthusiast and active traveler. Served as producer, interviewer and critic for “The Inside Reel” as well as programmer and managing editor for Sirk TV, a national cable and college network. Graduate of NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts with bachelor?s in film and TV production and film theory and criticism. Wrote monthly features and profiles as contributing editor for the most read gaming magazine in the country, Casino Player for nearly 15 years, focusing on production shows, new venues and established entertainers. He has also written articles for magazines such as Moviemaker, Moving Pictures, Written By, Create, Valley Scene, Dvox Magazine and Conde Nast Traveler UK in his 25 years of professional experience. Skills: ESW; Subject Matter: ABCDFGHJKLMNOPQRSTU; Sections: M. Approved for Active membership; sponsored by Katie McKalip.
- Emran Pishvai, (Associate) 6336 Yaquina Bay Rd., Newport, OR 97365. (H) 541-574-0060, (C) 541-272-2453, (W) 541-272-2453, (F) 541-574-0060, firstname.lastname@example.org. Cooperative effort with Leupold, Remington and Weatherby for cougar and elk fall rifle hunts. Inventor for Thompson/Center (prototype in progress). Limited custom fishing rod builder. Book in progress about steelhead and salmon fishing in the Pacific Northwest. (Jeri)
New Supporting Groups, Agencies and Businesses
- ARGO XTV, 220 Bergey Ct., New Hamburg, Ontario N3A2J5 Canada. Contact: Matt Chandler, media relations specialist. (W) 416-996-8726, email@example.com, http://www.argoxtv.com. ARGO Xtreme Terrain Vehicles (XTV) and custom utility packages have been manufactured since 1967. ARGO markets its products through a network of independent dealers and distributors located throughout the United States and Canada and through distributors representing dealers in Europe, Russia, South America, the Middle East, Asia and other international markets. ARGO’s unique durability, safety and versatility are driven by the renowned engineering capability of its parent company, Ontario Drive & Gear Ltd. (ODG). Since 1962, ODG has manufactured quality precision gears and transmissions. Supporter Resources: GIP.
- Signature Products Group, 1490 North 2200 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84116. Contact: Steve McGrath, director of marketing and public relations. (W) 801-433-5585, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://spgoutdoors.com. Driven by a passion for the outdoors, SPG manufactures and distributes licensed merchandise for the top outdoor brands. We create products with the quality and authenticity you’ve come to expect in your ever-changing lifestyle. We’ve been designing and developing genuine licensed products from the time we opened our doors in 2001 and since, have expanded our product lines to continue to build stronger partnerships with the brands. Through this dedication, we have earned the right to use their most valuable asset, their name and brand. Supporter Resources: GIP.
- Terra Nova Equipment Ltd., Summit House, Unit B Salcombe Ct., Salcombe Rd., Alfreton, Derbyshire DE557EG United Kingdom. Contact: Carolyn Budding, director. (W) 177-383-7382, email@example.com, http://www.terra-nova.co.uk. Terra Nova Equipment Ltd. has a long history of producing some of the world’s best outdoor gear. Our “best in class” design ethos drives an ambition to develop and use some of the best components and materials available. The company has three brands including Terra Nova, which has its history in mountain tents including the iconic Quasar tent. The last decade has seen the brand established as a leader in the design and development of extremely lightweight gear, including the lightest tents in the world, tarps, bivis, packs, sleeping bags and trekking poles. Our second brand, Wild Country, develops camping products (backpacking and weekend tents, sleeping bags and mats) designed for customers seeking the perfect combination of reliability, simplicity of use and great value. Its third brand is Extremities, for which products were originally developed in the 1980s to fill a gap in the market for dedicated clothing accessories that protected the extremities of the body in the worst possible conditions. Early styles included the first GORE-TEX taped mitt. Extremities is a clothing accessories specialist, and over the last 30 years its gloves, hats, socks and gaiters have evolved to provide a wider selection of styles suitable for outdoor activities for mountaineers, hikers, runners, hunters, anglers and anyone looking for stylish everyday accessories that perform. Supporter Resources: GIP.
Reinstated Supporting Groups, Agencies and Businesses
- Arkansas Dept. of Parks & Tourism, One Capital Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201. Contact: Leah DiPietro, communications manager. (W) 501-682-7606, (Toll Free) 800-NATURAL, (F) 501-682-2523, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.arkansas.com. Secondary contact: Mary Osteen, public information technician, email@example.com, 501-682-7602. Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism is the state agency that promotes tourism in Arkansas and manages the Arkansas state park system. Supporter Resources: DIO.
- Bass Pro Shops, 2500 E. Kearney, Springfield, MO 65898. Contact: Katie Mitchell, communications manager. (W) 417-873-5618, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.basspro.com. Secondary contact: Jack Wlezien, communications director, email@example.com, Mary Mardis, communications coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org. Bass Pro Shops is a leading destination retailer offering outdoor gear and apparel in an immersive setting. Founded in 1972 when avid young angler Johnny Morris began selling tackle out of his father’s liquor store in Springfield, Missouri, today 102 retail and marine centers host 120 million people annually. Bass Pro Shops also operates White River Marine Group, offering an unsurpassed collection of industry-leading boat brands, and Big Cedar Lodge, America’s premier wilderness resort. Under the visionary conservation leadership of Johnny Morris, Bass Pro Shops is known as a national leader in protecting habitat and introducing families to the outdoors and has been named by Forbes as “one of America’s Best Employers.” Supporter Resources: CGIP.
- Florida Keys & Key West, c/o Newman PR 2140 S. Dixie Hwy., Ste. 203, Miami, FL 33133. Contact: Andy Newman, media relations director. (W) 305-461-3300, (Toll Free) 800-ASK-KEYS, (F) 305-461-3311, email@example.com, http://www.fla-keys.com/media. Provides public relations support for the Florida Keys including Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon, Big Pine Key and Key West. Direct consumer inquiries to P.O. Box 1147, Key West, FL 33141; 800-FLA-KEYS. Supporter Resources: CIO.
The following members have successfully passed the review of their member credentials:
- Matthew Dunlap
- Matthew Reilly
Bob Smith Fund
- Robert Ford
- Mary Sue Hamilton
- Sharon Nyberg
- Jenny & Dean Seiben
- Kirk D. Deeter
- William F. Hollister
- Sil Strung
John Madson Fellowship Fund
- Martin H. Garrell
- Larry L. Kruckenberg
- Gary R. Zahm
Bodie McDowell Scholarship Fund
- Thomas M. Dillon