April 2013 update: This position has been filled.
The Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) is seeking an executive director to oversee the daily operation of the nation’s largest professional association of communicators working in outdoors-related fields.
- Implement board policies while working to achieve goals established by the OWAA strategic plan.
- Direct OWAA marketing and membership recruitment efforts.
- Manage and plan OWAA’s annual budget, in concert with the organization’s treasurer and finance committee, and handle OWAA bookkeeping responsibilities. Additionally, work with the organization’s Endowment Trustees, treasurer and investment manager on investment strategies for and disbursements from the organization’s funds.
- Manage the office staff of two and the office’s daily operations.
- Work with association members to resolve business-related concerns and questions, and keep the president and board aware of members’ views and feedback.
- Oversee the production of all organization publications, including the trade journal Outdoors Unlimited and OWAA member and supporter directory.
- Plan and coordinate semi-annual board meetings, and work with the board president to oversee board and committee governance and oversight.
- Facilitate OWAA’s annual Excellence in Craft contest, as well as its youth writing contest and scholarship programs.
- Work with conference services coordinator on site selection and in managing the conference program, agenda and budget.
- Work with OWAA volunteer committees and their chairs to further strategic goals, and assist OWAA president elect with filling committees.
- Obtain sponsorships and funding for various OWAA programs, including contests and the annual conference.
This full-time position offers a competitive salary and benefits. Some travel is required. The organization’s office is in Missoula, Mont. Relocation is preferred, but not required.
Organized in 1927 by members of the Izaak Walton League of America, OWAA has a membership of 1,000 outdoors communication professional and industry supporters. More information on the association is available at http://www.owaa.org.
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Deadline is Jan. 21, 2013.