MISSOULA, Mont. – April 2012 marks the Outdoor Writers Association of America’s 85th anniversary. OWAA is using the benchmark to launch the “$85 for 85: Celebrating the Past, Funding the Future” fundraising event. The fundraiser begins today (the 85th day of 2012) and concludes 8.5 months later on Dec. 15, 2012.
“It doesn’t take much to build a fund that can go a long way to making the difference for OWAA. Please join others and me in making OWAA a strong association,” said OWAA President Mike Walker.
OWAA’s goal for this fundraiser is $25,500. All funds donated will be split equally between the OWAA’s Operating Fund for current, critical needs and the Restricted Endowment Fund for future needs. Suggested donation is $85, a dollar to commemorate each year of OWAA’s history, but of course any amount is welcome.
Giving levels are split up into the following categories:
· Scribe: $8.50 to $84.99
· Columnist: $85.00 to $849.99
· Author: $850.00 to $8,499.99
· Pulitzer: $8,500-plus
- The first 85 donations, Columnist level or above, will receive OWAA logo wear of your choice.
- All donations at Author level or above ($850+) are automatically entered in a drawing for a private, customized pre- or post-conference trip in the Adirondacks in conjunction with the 2013 conference in Lake Placid.
- All donations at the Pulitzer level ($8,500+) include a life membership to OWAA.
How to contribute:
· Donate online now by credit/debit card.
· Set up a recurring monthly donation.
· Send a personal check or money order, made out to OWAA, to: OWAA, 615 Oak Street, Suite 201, Missoula, MT 59801.
OWAA is a 501(c)3 organization, and contributions to it are tax-deductible under the United States Internal Revenue Code. For this fundraising campaign, the amount of a donor’s contribution that exceeds the fair market value of any goods or services received from OWAA is the amount that may be deducted. OWAA estimates the fair market value of the clothing and gear bearing OWAA logos as being within what the IRS considers “inconsequential,” and therefore donors receiving such may fully deduct their donations. OWAA estimates the fair market value of the sweepstakes chance for the customized vacation at the lake cabin in the Adirondacks as $350, and the value of a Life Membership in OWAA as $1,500. Donors may opt-out of any incentive in order to make a donation fully tax-deductible by so indicating when making a donation.
OWAA is The Voice of the Outdoors®. The Outdoor Writers Association of America is the oldest and largest association of professional outdoor communicators in the United States. It was organized in 1927 by members of the Izaak Walton League of America and includes professional communicators dedicated to sharing the outdoor experience. OWAA’s professionals include writers, photographers, outdoors radio- and television-show hosts, book authors, videographers, lecturers and artists. The association is headquartered in Missoula, Mont. For more information, contact Robin Giner, executive director, Outdoor Writers Association of America, 615 Oak St., Ste. 201, Missoula, Mont. 59801; 406-728-7434, email@example.com; http://www.owaa.org.